Thursday, September 06, 2007

An open letter to iPhone owners from Steve Jobs

We have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store.I was a little on the fence about the whole $200 price drop announced yesterday. I purchased my iPhone as my birthday gift at the end of July. There were two major reasons for this 1) My previous phone had just died and 2) I was banking on an updated phone either by the beginning of 2008 or a price drop in November to cash in on the Holidays. Since I was phone less, and needed a new one, my pain was not as severe as it would have been if I had solely based my decision of the pricing in point 2. It still stung that I was out $200 that really shouldn't have happened as quickly. As an early adopter, I was taking on the full retail price and the risks with a new technology. I understood that fully, but to cut the price a mere 10 weeks after launch (I've had my phone for around 6 weeks now) was unsettling. I'm pleasantly surprised by this move, and while I was willing to bite the bullet about my loss (I'll go over my rational later) this is a very generous offer by Apple's part and I greatly appreciate it.

read more | digg story

No comments: